Sunday, January 9, 2011

Singapore:

Starting from the airport in Melbourne things didn't go as planned, feeling pretty ill I was charged $450AUSD in excess baggage charges, although on the plus side I was upgraded to business class and being 6ft 5inches I did appreciate the extra leg room. The flight was then delayed by an hour which in turn made me miss my connecting flight in Kula Lumper to Singapore, but after being greeted by a very short Malaysian man I was ushered around the airport where I was put on another flight. Being concerned my baggage wasn't going to be put on the flight with me I asked numerous times are my bags going to meet me when i get off at Singapore and each time the answer was a very definite 'yes.'

Getting off at Singapore, I soon realised the empty baggage carousel wasn't a good omen and very nice Singaporean man told me to go join the Que at lost and found, (unfortunately people only que'd for things that were lost, not for whats been found). After an hour queuing and nothing but a packet of nuts in my pocket to eat, (I was pretty hungry) I finally told someone official my bags were missing which was not a huge shock to her. After telling someone my bags were missing and 'feeling confident' they'd  be found I decided to head into the city. I had been told the 'Little India' section was the best place to go for Backpacker Hostels, so still feeling a little ill and with a headache that was packing a punch I bravely jumped into a taxi. The taxi driver was surprisingly chatty and asking him about cycling in Singapore he said it was much better than it was, i noted people on bikes and cars giving plenty of room. Almost as soon as i stepped out the taxi a big shiny 4x4 knocked an elderly looking cyclist straight off and without making any fuss he picked himself, bike and scattered belongings and carried on his ride. I wasn't feeling confident at this stage of making it out of Singapore never mind all the way to England.

I spent 2 hours walking round checking out hostels only to end up back at the one I had been dropped virtually outside of. Things here were a lot different to what i have been use to in Australia and New Zealand where I'd spent the last 2 years. Suddenly I was in the minority, although Singapore doesn't seem to have an identity other than being Asian, by Asian I mean mix of India, Chinese, Thai etc etc. I was feeling pretty down and was seriously doubting myself, (i still didn't have any of my lost baggage) i had the worst headache i can remember having, felt physically weak and very lonely. By about 7.30pm i decided to lay on my bed and feel sorry for myself, but at around 9pm my bags did turn up and checking them a few items had gone missing but i was just so glad to be reunited with my luggage.

I slept so well that night I didn't hear anyone coming back to the room or even the band playing till 1am downstairs and i felt so much better, headache gone and i even manged to eat a good breakfast of toast, eggs, fruit and cups of tea.  After breakfast i set about sorting my bags and building my bike. Once bike was built i was feeling much more positive but then disaster as i discovered my rear hub was rooted. Going to a bike shop ( which was 45mins walk away) to see if Harry Potter had decided to be a bicycle mechanic in Singapore when he grew up, i crossed my fingers things weren't as bad as i feared, they were and myself and the two mechanics spent 2 hours trying to figure out the problem with no joy.

As things stand now, I have ordered a new hub to be sent out from England only to discover they are out of stock. Things can only get better, right????

No comments:

Post a Comment