Thursday, January 27, 2011

Start of a long road 25/01/2011 : Singapore to Pontain 96.1km


After a sleep disturb night because Craig called me at 4 a.m (cheers mate), in his defence he did ask if it was ok and it was great to catch up with him. I got going pretty late as I got chatting to a couple from Bali who were interested in what I was doing and gave me some wise words of encouragement, once moving after about 13km the heavens opened, when it rains here it like someone is pouring a bucket of water over your head. I decided not to push myself too hard over the first days as I haven’t ridden a bike for almost a month and the legs will need a few cobwebs blowing out. I got to the border crossing with Malaysia after mid-day, being my first I was rather excited and even more excited to be going into a new country. The first thing I noticed about Malaysia was how dirty it was compared to Singapore, rubbish was thrown everywhere and the general feel wasn’t a clean one.
Getting out of Johor Bahru proved to be more difficult than it should have been, after a break to collect my thoughts I realized I’d missed the turn I needed to take to be on highway 1 but being a great believer of all roads lead to Rome I blindly headed off in the general direction I thought I needed to be. After wasting time going back on myself I eventually found the road I needed to be on which was 4 lanes of high speed traffic! Not having confidence in Malaysian driving I was filling my pants with anything that want to come out. I soon discovered Malays are much more considerate drivers than most Australians and New Zealanders I have had the pleasure be in the way of, Malays drivers were giving me plenty of room and warm smiles to go with. At a petrol station I’d stopped at  to get a drink a man approached me and he spoke really good English which I hadn’t come across yet, he asked me about my trip then proceeded to giving me his card and said any problems, just call him.
As time was getting on I decided I had to put in the time on the bike but opting to pull in at another town to get a drink the bike gods smiled on me but letting the rain fall as hard I think is earthly possible, it came down so hard the rain even came up! I then carried on till I got to Pontain where I chose to stop, but finding somewhere cheap to stay was never going to happen here, in a local bike shop they told me you won’t find anywhere cheaper than 60/70 Ringgit (rm), I managed to haggle a place to RM50 which is still way over my budget but what the heck I didn’t fancy camping. I then set about food and found a quirky outdoor eatery which was really cheap, RM3.5, although not being a tourist spot no one spoke much English so ordering was a bit random. Good to be back on the bike and first impressions of Malaysia are that of friendly people, we’ll see how the legs are tomorrow

1 comment: