Thursday, February 3, 2011

26/01/2011 ; Pontain to Melaka 180.71km

Had a bit of a fright during the night,  I woke up around 3am and my throat had swollen to a degree where I was having real problems swallowing water, the surrounding for snuffing it in my sleep were perfect, dingy hotel room all by myself where I wouldn’t be discovered for 12 hours. I tried to think what it could be the cause and the first thing that sprung to mind were the anti-malaria tablets I had taken, true enough possible allergic reactions are swollen throat and the rash I had discovered on my back yesterday evening was listed, the advice was to seek medical attention at once! Opting for sleep I decided to see how I was in the morning and true enough it was a bit better.
After a breakfast of instant noodles and tomato I was ready for the off not before the hotel owner told me ‘I pay you, I pay you.’ A bit confused what he meant he came running out with two bottles of water saying ‘ I pay you.’ With an extra litre of water I sent off again touched by the kindness shown by the people in Malaysia. I had given myself a big target to get to Melaka today but I was relishing the challenge of it, though it wasn’t the smartest or even sensible thing to do as my fitness needed building up a bit more.
When I got going again after lunch I noticed to threatening looking rain clouds to the east, with another 100km to go to Melaka I didn’t want to be caught in it but luckily I had a get out clause as 45km up the road in the town of Muer I was informed there is accommodation there. With 20km to go to Muer the rain was steadily coming down and I decided to stop at a little roadside café where a few locals where having their afternoon tea. Only one of them spoke English but while I drank my sweet tea we all had a full blown conversation going and at the end we were all taking pictures of each other and having a good giggle, its moments like these which is why I love cycle  touring. I get going again true to form the rain fell so I opted to check out Muer and stay the night. Today was not to be my day, I carried on following highway 5 as my map showed only one road I found it hard to believe I had took  a wrong turn, but I never passed the town of Muer and feeling a bit uneasy I pulled up soaking wet in the pouring rain to where a guy was selling coconuts.  I asked him where we were on my map he seemed a bit puzzled and eventually  pointed to a town fairly close to my final destination. Feeling pretty proud at progress I sped off only to pass a road sign indicating ‘Melaka 40km!!’  Unable to understand what had happen I was pretty worried I was on the wrong road so pulling in at another roadside café I asked where I was again where my whole predicament made sense, the road I was on was brand new just opened and was a 10km longer but less winding than the road I should have been on.  I got my head down and pedaled like a man possessed till I got to Melaka where assuming a road sign saying ‘Melaka Sentral,’  would take me to the town centre, unfortunately it took me to a bus terminal on the edge of town and asking for directions was becoming infuriating as no one understood the English for town centre. Riding round seemingly getting nowhere I had a great idea, as where I needed to be was china town I just said the words ‘china town’ to people, everybody understood this and I soon was on the right track and into a hostel. It was quite late so after my shower I went straight out on the hunt for food, I hit the jackpot, for RM8 I got a huge plate of noodles which I noticed a group of 4 sharing. Afterwards I stumbled on a group of Australians heading to the pub for a few Australia day beers which seemed a fitting end to the day.
27/01/2011
If the first days ride was blowing the cobwebs out of the legs then yesterday was blowing the legs up, I was suffering a bit so I took the day to look round Melaka. It’s a pretty little place with old colonial building after being occupied by the Chinese, dutch and finally the british. The river is full of huge lizards all swimming around and tourist going up and down on the boats. My aim today was to rest the body but it would have been a great day to cycle as for the first time since being in Malaysia it didn’t rain!  I got myself another monster feed from the same place I went yesterday and drank countless cups of tea, just what the body needs. After looking round the town I gave the bike a quick check only to discover the rear hub was loose again so I set to work and figures crossed it stays fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment