Sunday, February 6, 2011

Day of two halves 04/02/2011: Kuala Lumpur to ?????: 142.28km

Before leaving Richards home I left all the little red envelopes full of money as it didn’t feel right taking it, I left a note saying this is for the kids in Cambodia where Richard does some charity work. Richard rode with me for about 6km before seeing me off, but before we said our goodbyes I had a problem, my new wheel had a loose hub. Tightening the cones back up I hoped this was just a wee slip up. It came to the time to say my farewell to Richard who had been nothing but  good to me and offered he me RM100 as a travel gift, refusing profoundly saying that he had been more than generous already he eventually put it away, instead he said a little prayer for me. Richard is without doubt an absolute saint, seemingly happy to do anything for anyone and once again I thank him for his amazing hospitality.

Myself, Richard and Hazel (by special request)
Setting off expecting the hub to brake again I was rather surprised it didn’t, instead I had to stop two more times as the mud guard was eating into the tire, the second time I removed it completely. It was now midday, I had only covered 30km in 3 hours of riding so opting to take it slow and steady as my left knee was still in a bit of pain, the plan was just to see how far I could get. Things were looking promising when at around 3pm I saw a sign for the town of Bidor  60km away, Bidor wasn’t too far from where I had originally aimed for, the day was beginning to looking up. I plodded away slowly ground out the miles. When I was thinking I should be coming up to Bidor, I came across a sign stating I still had another 13km to go, at that very moment it began to rain, then thunder, so I took refuge under a bus shelter.








View from the bus shelter as the rain came down
 Across from my little shelter I spotted a house with a nice little patch of grass just perfect for putting up a tent. It was getting late, the house seemed well kept and the cars in the driveway appeared relatively new so I knocked and was given the ok to put my tent up. I sat back under the bus shelter as the rain was coming down hard, once it passed I put the tent up, got my things organized then went back to the bus shelter to cook my dinner. All was going perfectly, I was being left


Packing dinner away
alone just to get on with my own thing, until a car pulled up, again quite a nice car, the drive spoke very good English and said this wasn’t a very nice neighborhood, that I should come stay at his house, stating I was happily in my tent he left, but told me to be careful. I decided to listen to his words and began to get my things together to go hide in my tent before too many people got wind of my location. Before I could leave two guys must be early 20’s late teens came over on a motorbike, they just stared at me then asked if I stayed in that tent, confirming this they left saying bye before returning this time with 3 of them. I was feeling a bit uneasy and they left again but shortly after just as I was making my dash to the tent another pair came up. One guy was interested to see my bike and they were having a good nose round my tent, feeling even more uneasy they began chatting with the guy who allowed me to stay in his garden, being a place where I imagine everyone knows everyone I don’t think I would be too highly considered. Back in the tent for the first time in a while is a lot like how I left it in Darwin, it is so hot and muggy with no breeze, nothing to keep me cool it feels as though I’m in a sauna, also I have a nagging feeling my friends on their bikes have got some fun and games to really get on my tits.

4 comments:

  1. Richard sounds like a legend. Need a picture please.

    By the way, when the sun pops out you might want to take your tshirt off. Those tan lines on your upper arm are incredible mate.

    Good post, keep up the blogging (and the cycling!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah i will redders, but unfortunately Malaysia being a Muslim country your meant to keep covered, i think, at least as a sign of respect. Picture of richard is there just for you to see....thanks for the comments...my biggest fan will get a pint a big hug at the end....your streaks ahead mate, dont let up...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see I see.

    Thanks for the picture, doesn't look like what I thought...don't know what I thought though to be honest.

    Mine's a Fosters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. there are some really good people in the world richard sounds like one of them,thinking of you be safe mumx

    ReplyDelete