Friday, February 11, 2011

The Penultimate lap (for Malaysia) 10/02/2011: Georgetown to Alor Setar 103.94km

Today the bike gods were content with me if not slightly on my side.  Everything worked as it should, the only issue I had was the hotel I had planned to stay in decided to play hide and seek by changing its name, something when asking for directions (which usually sent me on completely the wrong direction) people didn’t mention it had changed name or that there was a tourist information centre where I could grab a map and actually get somebody to put a big dot where it is. As it happened on finding the tourist information centre I asked as to the whereabouts of my dirt cheap hotel and it was across the road! It was a little more expensive than I had planned, RM27 where my ever unreliable lonely planet said rooms were as cheap as RM 13. The hotel was clean and probably the one of the best I have stayed in, in Malaysia.
The past few days I have been struggling to keep to my budget of RM50 per day, this is because I’m just eating and drinking (non-alcoholic that’s way over budget) masses of food. When I have my evening meal now, normally I will have two then afterwards carry on snacking. Drinks wise because of the heat I’m sweating buckets and I’m drinking plenty of water but I’m also drinking fruit juices (cost around RM1) ice tea and sugar drinks to keep my engine going. Today I tried to work out the number of calories I was intaking just with drinks and it worked out to be over 1000!
I should cross over into Thailand tomorrow, I can’t wait but I know it’s going to be tougher, people speak less English and Thailand having its own alphabet will make road signs pointless. The little challenges of the road. I love it. 

1 comment:

  1. Have you been to Thailand before?

    I know someone has and can't remember if it was you or not.

    Either way good luck x

    ReplyDelete