Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Krabi 14/02/2011 to 15/02/2011

I had a pretty long sleep in today, no need to cycle anywhere, just chill out and see what’s around.  I liked the look of Krabi, today I wanted to get few things sorted, quick check over the bike, get my washing done properly as it was toxic and in general rest mind and body. I just wondered round enjoying being able to talk to people as they all spoke English, most just wanted to sell my a tour in a long boat around the mangroves, 400baht was bit over budget but I did want a go in a long boat.
Add caption
 
I caught up with Rayann before she went to Ko Phi Phi which I have opted against due to cost and time. I had wee snooze till about 430pm then I rode to tiger cave which is a huge Buddhist temple complex about 8kms away. Cycling there I felt so strong, I was overtaking people on the motor bikes I couldn’t believe how fast I was going, thinking it must be tailwind I just enjoyed the ride, the way back I was just as fast though. Missing the turning I carried on to tesco to buy some food then eventually made it to tiger cave which was a spectacular temple. I wanted to climb the 1,272 steps up the top of the tower and get back down before it was dark as I’d been warned the steps are pretty steep and awkward in places. I raced up what people were doing in 40minutes to an hour in 15minutes but I suffered, my t-shirt (only t-shirt as all my other clothes were being washed) was soaked in sweat to the point where I couldn’t bear wearing it. The top however was amazing like I can’t describe, there was huge place for people to worship, it was a very special place indeed, so peaceful. I got down before darkness fell but needed to cool down and try dry my unbearably wet t-shirt.  
Next day I decided to go to Riley beach which after a 20km cycle could only be accessed by long boat, perfect. Getting there I was a little disappointed to find it was a bit of a tourist hot spot, full of European tourists and backpackers, the place looked amazing except for the mass of people. There was another beach set just a small cove over which looked a bit quieter. I went for a walk through the jungle for which seemed forever and not particularly easy walking it was directing me to a beach, must be secluded and not many people I was hoping. What seemed an age I ended up walking by a load of huts for backpackers to stay, the ones looking for that beach hippy experience and they didn’t disappoint. Everyone had dreadlocks and seemed the sort who were looking for the same experience as in the movie ‘The Beach’ and this is as close they will get to it, not being a massive beach person to me there is other places I’d rather stay but each to the own. I did hit the beach I’d been walking forever to get to and to my frustration it was the one just a little cove over that I could have walked round in 5 minutes.
Me and Liz
I headed back to the beach where I had originally started at by wading through the water as I had to catch my boat back from there. I had a quick swim then sat in the shade when right in front of me I saw a familiar face. It was Liz who I had shared a room with for few months in Sydney, to be honest this made my day as lazing on a beach in my opinion is pretty dull. It was so random and I only got to chat with Liz for about 30minutes before I had to catch my boat back, she was staying in the ‘hippy huts’ so had to stay on the beach but it was such a pleasant surprise to see her there.



My lift!

Back to where I had left my bike I set off back to Krabi into a headwind when a motor trike (its like a motor bike with a side cart added to the side for carrying people or ‘stuff’) went by, pedaling hard I caught up and grabbed onto the side for a tow to which the driver offered me a lift. Accepting my and bike jumped in, I wanted to ride in one of these because they looked a totally crazy ride, I wasn’t disappointed this time. Getting back I grab a shower and my washing done was able to wear fresh cloths, it felt good. From tomorrow I have a bit of a dash to Bangkok to get there before Russell does.

No comments:

Post a Comment