Thursday, April 14, 2011

Cyclist or Traveller 4/04/2011: Huize to Zhaotong 131.08km


It was a late start, i had to patch a flat tyre and i had a quick clean out of my pannier bags. Over breakfast i had to decide which road to take, the highway which does not allow cyclists or a much longer route. I really wanted a day where i could enjoy the cycling on a good road and not have to deal with rutted, muddy, potholed old roads. I opted to let fate take its path so i headed to the new highway went straight past the signs banning motorbikes and bicycles gave the toll booth workers a big smile and said Zhaotong pointing to the highway. They smiled back and away i went, i couldn’t believe they just let me past so i decided today i was going to enjoy the cycling. 


Climbing upwards i had a brief scare when a policeman beckoned me to pull over, he asked where i was going then just sent me on my way.. After 30km i came to a petrol station, i pulled in to make myself a cup of tea and have a break. I had been paranoid i had a slow puncture in the back so while drinking my tea i couldn’t help but think it was going down. I had been using patches as getting spare tubes the right size had been impossible, i did have one spare tube but it was for a racing wheel thus a bit skinny for my chunky tyres but i opted to make use of it and hope i don’t get anymore punctures.


The day went by smoothly, i really had a good time just riding, i rode hard so made good time. I had my lunch in a tunnel to keep out of the sun. arriving into Zhaotong i wasn’t overly impressed, it seemed a grotty city much bigger than i expected, but rubbished lined the streets and i was followed for a short time by a boy on a bicycle who looked like he lived on a rubbish tip. I found myself a dingy hotel which had no shower but i washed in a bowel. I wasn’t feeling very touristy so wasn’t interested in looking round, nothing inspired me much to look round so i grabbed so food, had my mouth blown off after some spicy chicken then got into bed to keep warm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment