Thursday, April 14, 2011

Kunming 29/03/2011 to 30/03/2011


I still didn’t feel 100% getting up and my stomach was only at 50% but it got worse, much worse. The plan was to get the bikes sorted out so after my first trip to the toilet we got going. I enjoy looking at bike shops but we only found two in the whole of Kunming that were of any use to us i even bought a t-shirt in one particular bike shop. This was the first time i really  admitted to myself i’m a cyclist, i buy my clothes at bike shops, i spend most my time riding a bike and the books i read tend to be cycling related (i’m currently reading Lance Armstrong ‘its not about the bike’).


I was desperate to get back to the hostel my loose stomach was feeling looser and it only got worse. Its not easy or pleasant to talk about having diarrhoea but this was as bad as i’d ever had it. It was just liquid, whenever i ate i would feel my stomach rumble, whenever i would turn in my bed i would feel my insides move around and if i was required to hold on the pain in my stomach would be unbearable. Even burping wasn’t normal, if you have ever drank orange juice that’s gone off and has a fizzy texture to it, well that is what its like, i can feel a fizzyness come up from my stomach. Not good.

The next day i had hope things had cleared up and at first i looked like i was on the mend. One of the girls who had directed me and Loon to the town had been in touch with Loon and was going to show us around. I wasn’t keen myself, i just wanted to go do my own things but went along. We had some lunch of noodles which sent my stomach crazy, i couldn’t even finish it. I left Loon and the Chinese girl and went in search of a book shop where i wanted to, well buy a book, map of china but this being china everything was written in Chinese text so it was worthless. Instead i headed back to make some good use of the toilet and worked out where to cycle to after here.


While in Kunming i did some research on getting to Shanghai, i decided i was beaten, just to get there in time i needed to do 175km a day over mountains climbing over 1000m’s on a bike weighing over 50KG. I knew my limits so i decided to head up to Chengdu where before starting this trip i was keen on going to. From Chengdu i’d catch a train to Shanghai where i’d get the weekly ferry over to Japan.  Im in real conflict about catching the train because to save money after  Japan i would then have to get a return ferry back to Shanghai where i would catch a train to Beijing where i would sort the rest of my visas out. This would feel like cheating myself by leaving big gaps in my trip but i will be nice to have a break from the bike it would also be my last chance to catch up with some mates in Japan and be the last time till i get to Europe before i see anyone i knew again so i think its worth it.


Right now i’m still battling my bowel movements which hasn’t improved, and i have dropped a belt size since it began so hopefully tomorrow i’ll be right to ride but  i have time now im in no rush.


I wanted to make sure i’d be right to get going so i opted to stay an extra night. I didn’t do a whole lot except rest up and spend lots of money. I finished my book which was a sad moment. Im really looking ahead to going to Japan now, the initial buzz of China has left me and I want something else. For the final meal me and Loon track down a pizza hut where we stuffed ourselves stupid. Back at the hostel i began to pack but quickly lost interest. I put on a movie and relaxed.

No comments:

Post a Comment