Thursday, April 14, 2011

Don’t talk to strangers 7/04/2011: Yibin to 17km before Neijing 130.9km


An interesting day, until the hotel was a good one, opposite to yesterday. All went smoothly but today I could feel a bit of tiredness setting in, while having lunch I could barely keep awake, just so I didn’t embarrass myself I got cycling before I had a power nap in the diner.

I was quite excited today as my map said there was a dinosaur museum which I was super keen to see. Since I was a child I have had a big fascination with dinosaurs like most kids, but most kids grow out of it I never really have, im still fascinated by them and would go out of my way to see something dud dinosaur museum on my map. Fortunately I didn’t have to go too far out of my way to get to this one, about a 100m, unfortunately I was almost hit by a car on a roundabout, the car didn’t stop luckily for me I had my brakes tight so I stop instantly right by the driver’s door who had also stop, I yelled a barrage of abuse at the driver, I think he got the point as he looked a bit petrified more at my reaction rather than the fact he could have taken me out.  The dinosaur museum was not quite what I was expecting, it looked an incredibly tacky tourist attraction in only a way that Asian countries seem to make something and it was a bit pricey to so I opted to give it a miss. I did hang around for a while waiting for the drizzle to stop.

When I got going again the road turn to crap in a way that china is so good at which meant reaching Neijing before dark didn’t look likely, nor did the option of camping either. I did find a hotel and to my confusion the owner showed me the room then wrote down 50 and 20, I think these were the prices so I pointed at the 20, and I paid 20 yuan. Before I could get showered or even sort my stuff out he ushered me to eat some food and tried giving me some awful tasting vodka type drink. While eating a crowd gathered, I got the feeling the guy was showing me off, I was being fed for free but the food looked like it had potential for a spot of food poisoning, I ate it all the same. By now I realized the owner was pretty drunk, I took my stuff up to the room and he and few kids kept bugging me. They left so I got showed then thought a quick picture of everyone then I’d sort my stuff out and get an early night for a big day tomorrow.  However the drunk owner had other ideas, first he took me to another room away from everyone except his grumpy son who he was trying to get to go to bed. After he achieved this ( I was very confused about what was going on, no one spoke English) he ushered me out side where we walked down the dark wet muddy street of the town. He kept talking in Chinese to me and I kept saying I don’t understand a word. I didn’t know what he had in mind but didn’t want to seem rude so went with it. He bought a red bull style drink which I thought was odd, I protested I didn’t want it but he gave it to me all the same then did the international sign for women. I finally got what he was doing, he was taking me to a hooker! I said I didn’t want it but he would take no, still we kept walking and he was on his phone a lot. We began to head back but stopped at an eatery where against my wishes he ordered two beers and big bowel of meat. He was trying to get my drunk, this wasn’t over yet, and every time he tried to fill my glass he would spill beer everywhere. Also I didn’t bring my wallet,  so I hope he wasn’t expecting me to pay, I didn’t want this anyway so I had no intention to, for what I could see he was showing me off or somebody back at the hotel was robbing me blind and this was a diversion.

Next it all made sense, why he was on the phone and stalling etc, a guy in a van came and he wanted me to get in. As a child your told never talk to strangers or get in a car with them, this was the same. It was late (for me anyways) and I guess he was going to take me to some whore house. I didn’t want any of it, so I refused but he wasn’t taking no so physically tried to get me in, I had no grip on the wet mud so just slid towards the van until I could grip onto the van and pull my arm back. This went on for 10minutes, my drunk hotel owner was beginning to get upset that I wouldn’t get in but there was no way I was going to put myself in that situation especially as I didn’t have a clue as to what was going on. I distanced myself from the van, the driver who looked slightly hacked off that he had come from where ever for nothing began to pull off. My drunk hotel owner started insinuating that I had made him look silly, I didn’t care I was pretty angry that he would take no for a answer so stormed back to the hotel and back to my room. I was worried he’d come knocking but I guess he got the point I was pretty hacked off with what had happened and left me be.

No comments:

Post a Comment